Saturday, November 21, 2009

Outlook into a new media career

I answered this questionaire online about career choices and my outlook in the workplace and it was very insightful. It opened my eyes to many of my values and what I would like to gain in my career choice.
What field would you most like to work in?
There are so many careers offered in new media today, and there will be even more in the near future. The field I see myself going into would be web design and story telling. I think it is an advantage to go into web design because every company or organization needs a web site so web designers will be much needed. I also would like to start my own business one day and knowing how to create websites would be very beneficial. It is good to know how websites really work because you can get a full understanding of them. Another career aspect I would like to focus on is script writing and writing for novels. Story telling is a very important aspect in many new media projects such as movies although it is behind the scenes it is the root to a good movie.

What skill do you think will be most valuable in your career?
There are many skills it takes to get into these two fields. Web design takes many skills and a lot of practice. Skills in Photoshop and illustrator are some of the most important because they are tools used to bring out creativity and illustration. There is a lot of coding involved and knowledge in what each code means and what it can do is very important. In storytelling (writing) a creative mind set is much needed. Having an open mind is most important because having that, can create endless possibilities of ideas. A common knowledge of English and grammar would be great as well. Practice is a big skill in writing and being committed and patient is very beneficial.

What goals are you setting for yourself?
There are many things I plan to do to prepare for these fields in the future. As far as web design I know many people who plan to start their own business in the future and I think it would be very beneficial to have skills to created websites for their advertisements. My main goal right now is to take as many web design and writing classes as I can so that I can master the skills needed for those careers. There are many workshops that will help me get more knowledge and understanding of the skills needed as well. As they say practice makes perfect so that is my number one goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment