Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Eiteljorg Museum

Last year I went to visit the Eiteljorg Museum downtown which contains American Indian and Western Art. I thought that the museum was very educational and interesting. It had a lot of cultural elements such as biographies, stories, facts, photographs, pottery, clothes, jewelry, and tools that was a part of the Native American heritage. I did a little research on the Eiteljorg Museum and I noticed that the museum opened in 1989. It was interesting to me that when I was a child; the schools I attended had never taken a field trip there. I thought that this museum would make a perfect trip for students from grades 7 and up. Visiting the museum really gave me a true insight into the Native American culture verses just reading about it in a history book. I think that this museum would appeal to students because you get a better understanding of Native American culture as a whole and the items in the museum are very interesting. Native Americans were very insightful and creative and you see that within the museum. I think that schools should take field trips to the Eiteljorg Museum because it gives you the experience of another culture. As diverse as the United States is now, we have to be diverse in the knowledge of our culture as well as others. A textbook does no justice as oppose to actually going to see artifacts and the real images of another culture.


Website: http://www.eiteljorg.org/default.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment